A “killer” tote bag

During my recent trip to the Washington DC area, I was browsing in a hair salon waiting area. A shelf full of colorful, alligator-type textured hand clutches caught my eye.

IMG_0009

In looking closer, I was shocked at the tag displayed with the bags and really couldn’t believe my eyes!

IMG_0008

Why in the world would something like this be on the market & who, in their right mind, would buy one?   Anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “A “killer” tote bag

1. cteachr says:

Odd that they would even be able to carry those in the store.

• No kidding – I guess I could have asked someone…

• cteachr says:

Just for fun, I showed my International Business class your post, citing it as a good example of barriers to trade. If it is in contravention of health regulations, why would it have been allowed in the country in the first place? I also asked the students where they thought this item might have originated. They were unanimous on China. I figure South East Asia, anyway. I guess China still has a bad reputation after toys with lead were found a few years back. Keep posting those interesting pictures.

• I am honored and happy to hear my post could be helpful for your class!

2. Oh wow, I’m not sure if someone would buy this bags :o)

3. shaveart says:

I am surprised too but not because they contained dreaded lead, but because they are marked as such! Too much information perhaps. Are you planning on sucking on your handbag? Not unless you are extremely hungry, or between meals, and then you would need to read all accompanying, formally- attached by a silver thread information, that you have saved for this purpose!

Have a great time in the US, and if you come to Tennessee, let me know, I would love to meet you! Cheers! http://www.sharonruschshaver.com/

4. Karen Stephen says:

Thank God I live in California…otherwise I might not know this!!

5. OH. No. Not so pretty! Killer tote, indeed. I wonder how many they’ve sold. T. (Enjoy the weekend!)

6. simplyilka says:

Hi! I always love your posts!

I also wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for Seven Awards, because I think you and your blog are truly creative and fantastic. I hope you will accept! Congratulations and here is the link: http://simplyilka.com/2014/03/01/7-awards-the-amazing-pack-of-7-in-1/
    – Ilka

• Merci, Ilka – I am very touched by your nomination, but my award is my readership and comments like yours about my blog. A heartfelt thank you and bon dimanche!

7. Diane says:

Hi Kim,

Just saw the posting and want to say, as a resident of California, this state is way ahead of the curve in protecting consumers. In response to cteachr, these products should NOT be allowed into the country. Hopefully, consumer protection will one day take priority over trading in such products.

Diane

8. anniedm778 says:

Makes me wonder about the owner of the shop. I thought there were laws here against selling such merchandise. There are art objects that have warnings, such as pottery, about lead and that they are not to be used for containing food. Very odd.

9. Thanks, Annie – It was surprising, to say the least.