French Word Games

I remember my grandmother and I playing Scrabble many years ago, and she always won – she also did crossword puzzles – need I say more!?

I recently went to a French club activity where we played French Scrabble – there were five of us playing – expats trying our best to use all our letters (les pions).  This took some time, brain intensive effort, and a little help from the French hostess, who kindly served tea/coffee and cookies.  Thank goodness score wasn’t being kept, and you could verify words in the official Scrabble word approved reference book, if needed.  Words were also accepted conjugated in all the tenses, even in passe simple!  Ooh, la, la!

IMG_0001

IMG_0002

IMG_0004

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “French Word Games

1. I think to solve a french Scrabble is just great! Think we could play french scrabble earliest in next century ;o)

2. vickiarcher says:

Sounds like fun to me… I love Scrabble… but I am not sure how good I would be in French…:) I am sure it’s very good for the language skills though…
    Happy weekend… xv

3. vickiarcher says:

I am not sure if I am double commenting here… anyway…
    Love Scrabble.. and I am sure playing in French is great for your vocabulary… I think I would be a little challenged… 🙂
    Happy weekend… xv

• I was surprised how much fun it was – low key, no stress about scores, and everyone helps others look for spots for oddball/leftover letters! yes, it is a great way to improve vocabulary, as well. Have a great weekend and thanks for your comment. Bisous.

4. colormusing says:

I’m a huge fan of both Scrabble and les mots croises, but have not yet played Scrabble en francais– might be a good plan for this wet day!

5. Hadn’t thought of that, but yes, it would be a fun way to spend a rainy day – stay warm!

6. We, too, are scrabblers, though Brenda is too sharp which makes me loose interest progressively as I lose!

7. pvk362007 says:

I love the word game, now days hardly find time. should I mark it for post retirement pass time?? I don’t know.

8. A great way to improve your French and socialise at the same time. The French love their games don’t they. In our local French village there are hoards of people playing all sorts of incomprehensible games. Maybe this year I’ll pluck up courage to go and have a look!!

9. You’re right, Corinne, and therein lies the national sport of “petanque” :)!

10. Sartenada says:

Je jamais joué au Scrabble. Semble être intéressant!

11. french says:

Great write up . Thanks for sharing nice article with us. I really enjoyed while i reading this nice post.